Terms and Conditions

 

Cancellation, refund & ticket policy: Each ticket is valid for one person and cannot be shared between more than one person. If you request cancellation within 45 days from date of purchase and 60 days prior to the event (“Refund Deadline”), a refund can be processed via EFT, less a processing fee of $350 per ticket. Alternatively, a credit for the same purchase value can be used towards a future WOBI Australia event within the following year, or tickets may be transferred to a substitute participant up until 1 day prior to the event. If you request a cancellation after the Refund Deadline, you may choose from a credit or substitute up until 1 day prior to the event. All cancellation requests must be made in writing. No cancellations will be allowed after the event date.

We reserve the right to cancel the event, and if this occurs, we shall refund the total fee paid.

1% surcharge applies to all credit card transactions.

Accommodation: In order to guarantee your reservation, Business Executive Education Pty Ltd will charge a 20% advance deposit of the accommodation cost. As of 31st March 2018 Business Executive Education Pty Ltd will charge the remaining 80% balance of your accommodation cost. To avoid the forfeiture of any advance deposit, any reservation cancellations must be made before the refund deadline of 31st March 2018. Name changes can be made on reservations up until 28th April 2018. Any additional costs during your stay will be paid directly to The Star.

Scheduling: We reserve the right to make any changes without prior notice.

Recording Waiver: WOBI reserves the right to broadcast and transmit recorded content via TV, Satellite, Cable, IPTV, Internet, and any other means of distribution. By participating in the World Business Forum, you grant authorisation for the use of these images/ footage.

Data Privacy Policy: Any information provided by you in registering for this congress is being collected by WOBI and will be held in the strictest confidence. It will be added to our database and will be used primarily to provide you with further information about WOBI events and services. From time to time WOBI may share information from our database with other carefully screened professional organisations (including our event sponsors). Please tick the box on the checkout page if you do NOT want us to pass on your details. To amend your current details, advise of duplicates or to opt out of further mailings, please contact our Database Maintenance Department, Suite 5, Level 1, 1 Epping Road, NORTH RYDE NSW 2113. Alternatively, email marketing.au@wobi.com, call +61 2 8873 4411 or fax 02 9887 4840.

This online merchant is located in Australia.